Bedding and Pot Plant Centre
About Bedding and Pot Plant Centre
- Addresses industry needs via a work programme to demonstrate new product opportunities, best practice and practical solutions to problems encountered on nurseries
- Work programme undertaken at a number of nurseries and research centres
- Robust programme of events, workshops, study tours and other outputs
- Agile structure to respond to industry needs
- Project management group consists of growers
The Bedding and Pot Plant Centre is a ‘virtual’ centre set up to become the primary site for bedding and pot plant research and demonstration in the UK.
Its aim is to address a range of different technical and new product development issues as nominated by the project management group.
The longer-term aim is to technically support and facilitate networking among UK bedding and pot plant growers.
Current trials and output includes:
- Phytotoxicity evaluation of new fungicides for powdery mildew and botrytis control
- Assessment of new poinsettia varieties for the UK market
- Improving spray application to crops
- Potential of a range of salvia species for use as bedding plants
- Regional resource management workshops
- A series of overseas and UK study tours
Chris Need is contracted to run the Centre for AHDB.